MOTS-C Peptide: A comprehensive exploration into the uses and benefits
In the realm of bioactive peptides, MOTS-C (mitochondrial-derived peptide) has emerged as a remarkable player in recent years, captivating the scientific community with its potential health benefits and mechanisms of action.
So, let’s get started on benefits of MOTS-C peptide.
What is MOTS-C peptide?
MOTS-C is a peptide derived from the mitochondria, the cellular powerhouses responsible for generating energy, and it has gained attention for its potential role in improving insulin sensitivity, promoting fat breakdown, and enhancing energy levels.
In detail, MOTS-C is a small, 16-amino acid bioactive peptide encoded within the mitochondrial DNA.
“In 2015, the MOTS-c peptide (mitochondrial open reading frame of the 12S rRNA type-c), encoded by mitochondrial DNA, was discovered. MOTS-c is mainly activated by stress and exercise, while its expression decreases with ageing.
MOTS-c was initially found to regulate glucose uptake, lipid metabolism and insulin resistance, as well as being involved in ageing-related physiological and pathological changes.
With the increasing number of relevant studies in recent years, MOTS-c has gradually been found to also affect obesity, inflammation, neuroprotection and ageing-induced hypokinesia, potentially contributing to healthy ageing. A systematic review of MOTS-c is necessary because of the powerful potential functions it exhibits and the increasing number of related studies”
The discovery of MOTS-c has opened up new avenues in our understanding of the intricate communication network between the mitochondria and the nucleus, and the role these interactions play in maintaining cellular and metabolic health.
The chemical structure of MOTS-c is composed of 16 amino acids, making it a relatively short peptide. Its amino acid sequence is a unique sequence which is essential for its biological activity and its ability to interact with various cellular components.
How does it work?
MOTS-c functions as a signalling molecule, and its primary role is to communicate between the mitochondria and the nucleus, helping to maintain the balance of energy production and consumption within the cell.
It does so by regulating the expression of certain genes associated with energy metabolism and insulin sensitivity. MOTS-c promotes mitochondrial heal and efficiency, ensuring that cells have an adequate and consistent supply of energy.
Its mechanism of action can be summarised as follows:
Mitochondrial Communication: MOTS-C, being encoded in mitochondrial DNA, is produced within the mitochondria themselves. These organelles are primarily responsible for energy production through oxidative phosphorylation. As a mitochondrial-derived peptide, MOTS-C serves as a crucial communicator, bridging the gap between the mitochondria and the cell nucleus
Gene Regulation: Once synthesised, MOTS-C travels from the mitochondria to the cell nucleus, where it exerts its influence on gene expression. It has been found to regulate the transcription of specific genes that are integral to metabolic processes, including energy metabolism, insulin sensitivity, and mitochondrial function
Enhanced Insulin Sensitivity: MOTS-C’s role in gene regulation extends to genes responsible for insulin sensitivity. By promoting the expression of genes involved in insulin signalling pathways, it facilitates improved insulin sensitivity in various tissues, particularly in skeletal muscle. This action leads to increased glucose uptake and utilisation by cells, ultimately aiding in the regulation of blood glucose levels.
Mitochondrial Health: Beyond its effects on insulin sensitivity, MOTS-C supports mitochondrial health. It helps to maintain the integrity and efficiency of these cellular powerhouses, ensuring that they function optimally. This is crucial for the steady supply of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the cell’s primary energy currency, and for maintaining overall cellular metabolic balance.
Energy Homeostasis: By fine-tuning mitochondrial function and optimising energy metabolism, MOTS-C plays a pivotal role in maintaining energy homeostasis within the cell. This contributes to the overall well-being of the organism and can be particularly beneficial in scenarios where energy balance is disrupted, such as in metabolic disorders and ageing.
Cross-Tissue Effects: MOTS-C’s influence extends beyond the mitochondria and skeletal muscle. Research has shown that it can impact multiple tissues and organs throughout the body, including adipose tissue (fat), liver, and the cardiovascular system, further demonstrating its systemic importance.
Does it Improves insulin sensitivity, increases fat breakdown and boosts energy levels?
MOTS-C, the mitochondria-derived peptide, offers a multitude of potential health benefits, each underpinned by its intricate regulatory role in cellular metabolism and gene expression. Here, we delve deeper into the benefits of MOTS-C:
- Improved Insulin Sensitivity:
- MOTS-C has garnered significant attention for its role in enhancing insulin sensitivity. Insulin sensitivity is a critical aspect of metabolic health, as it determines how effectively the body can respond to insulin, a hormone responsible for regulating blood sugar levels.
- By promoting the expression of genes associated with insulin signalling pathways, MOTS-C facilitates an increased sensitivity to insulin. This means that cells are better equipped to uptake and utilise glucose from the bloodstream.
- Improved insulin sensitivity is particularly beneficial for individuals with insulin resistance, prediabetes, or type 2 diabetes. It can help manage blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of complications associated with these conditions.
- Enhanced Fat Breakdown (Lipolysis):
- Another remarkable benefit of MOTS-C is its ability to promote the breakdown of stored fat, a process known as lipolysis. This process involves the release of fatty acids from adipose tissue into the bloodstream for energy utilisation.
- MOTS-C exerts its influence on genes and cellular mechanisms involved in lipid metabolism, encouraging the body to use stored fat as an energy source. This can have a profound impact on weight management and body composition.
- Increased fat breakdown can also be advantageous for individuals aiming to lose weight, as it may contribute to a more efficient utilisation of fat reserves.
- Boosted Energy Levels:
- MOTS-C’s role in optimising mitochondrial function has a direct impact on energy production. Mitochondria are responsible for generating adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which serves as the primary energy currency of cells.
- By ensuring the health and efficiency of mitochondria, MOTS-C helps maintain a consistent and ample supply of ATP. This can lead to increased energy levels, which can have a wide range of positive effects on overall vitality and physical performance.
- Enhanced energy levels can be particularly beneficial for individuals experiencing fatigue, whether due to age-related decline in mitochondrial function or other factors.
- Potential Longevity Benefits:
- While research is ongoing, the optimization of mitochondrial function and the regulation of metabolic processes by MOTS-C have led to speculations about its potential role in promoting longevity and healthy ageing.
- Healthy mitochondria are associated with increased lifespan and reduced risk of age-related diseases. MOTS-C’s ability to maintain mitochondrial health and energy production aligns with these longevity-promoting factors.
- However, it is important to note that further research is needed to fully understand the extent of MOTS-C’s influence on longevity.
- Systemic Metabolic Regulation:
- MOTS-C’s impact extends beyond specific tissues or organs. It exerts systemic effects, contributing to the overall metabolic regulation of the body.
- It can influence adipose tissue, liver, and the cardiovascular system, potentially addressing various metabolic concerns and improving overall health.
- Its role in mitigating metabolic dysfunction makes it a promising target for the development of novel therapies for metabolic disorders and age-related conditions.
This is one of many reviews which highlight the various benefits of MOTS-c described:
“Since MOTS-c has important cellular functions as well as a possible hormonal role, it has been shown to have beneficial effects on age-related diseases including Diabetes, Cardiovascular diseases, Osteoporosis, postmenopausal obesity and Alzheimer. Ageing is characterised by gradual loss of (mitochondrial) metabolic balance, decreased muscle homeostasis and eventual diminished physical capability, which potentially can be reversed with MOTS-c treatment. This review examines the latest findings on biological effects of MOTS-c as a nuclear regulatory peptide and focuses on the role of MOTS-c in ageing and age-related disorders, including mechanisms of action and therapeutic potential”.
Is MOTS-C naturally occurring and produced by the mitochondria?
Of course, yes!
MOTS-C’s natural occurrence and its production within the mitochondria constitute a fascinating aspect of this bioactive peptide. It is a testament to the intricacies of cellular biology and the essential role it plays in maintaining cellular homeostasis.
MOTS-C, short for Mitochondrial-Derived Peptide, derives its name from its place of origin – the mitochondria.
These small, double-membraned organelles are well-known as the cellular powerhouses, responsible for generating adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the primary energy currency of cells. MOTS-C is encoded within the mitochondrial DNA, which is separate from nuclear DNA and governs the production of mitochondria-specific proteins and peptides.
Within the mitochondria, MOTS-C is synthesised and processed, undergoing specific modifications to become an active bioactive peptide. This intriguing process is part of a complex interplay that takes place within these organelles. MOTS-C is produced in response to various cellular signals, including those related to energy balance and mitochondrial health.
The discovery of MOTS-C and its role in mitochondrial-nuclear crosstalk has led to intriguing implications in the field of biochemistry and cellular biology. It exemplifies how cellular components work together to ensure the efficient functioning of the entire organism. Furthermore, it opens up the possibility of leveraging MOTS-C’s regulatory properties for therapeutic purposes in the context of metabolic diseases and age-related conditions.
Dosage and how to take it
After delving into the scientific intricacies and the multitude of advantages that MOTS-C offers, you’re likely eager to embark on your journey into the world of peptide therapy.
To kickstart your MOTS-C experience, all you need to do is arrange a consultation with our Integrative and Functional Medicine practitioner, Jessica. With her wealth of experience in the field of Peptide Therapy, you can rest assured that you’re in capable hands, ready to customise your experience to cater to your unique needs.
These consultations are available for international clients, and are not subject to the UK only.
Unlocking the potential of MOTS-C
Why Nūūtro pioneers MOTS-C Peptide Therapy
Unlocking the potential of MOTS-C requires a discerning approach, considering the abundance of available information. The landscape of peptides is in a state of constant evolution, with MOTS-C shining as a promising avenue.
In contrast to the multitude of sources that may leave you feeling perplexed or uncertain, Nūūtro sets itself apart through an unwavering commitment. We are devoted to upholding the highest standards of quality, safety, and integrity.
Within Nūūtro, you can place your trust in the knowledge that our team and products are guided by an enduring dedication to well-being. We recognize that your journey toward health is unique, and we are thrilled to be a part of that transformative process. We are here to provide guidance at every step of your journey.
Our unwavering commitment to your well-being permeates every facet of our operations:
- We only source our peptides from accredited USA-labs that use the purest ingredients.
- Jessica has personally met the owner and COO of our peptide supplier, we only do business with integrity.
- Our peptides are rigorously third-party tested.
- We work with you to discuss other issues such as gut inflammation and hormonal disbalance prior to ensuring the peptides work to their full efficacy.
Initiate your transformative journey with Nūūtro, where we stand ready to assist you in reaching your wellness goals.
To learn more about our Peptide Therapy programmes click here.